I'm pleased to announce my first addition to the MSFS 2020 community, Richmond International Airport (KRIC)! This has been a long process of learning but I'm thrilled to be able to release this initial version to you all. Features include custom made main terminal, parking garages, gates, and control tower with 4k PBR materials. I've also hand-placed accurate runways and taxiways (no more runway 7/25!) complete with correct taxiways signs and ILS and accurate gate assignment.
DISCLAIMER: This initial version is far from what I plan to be the final product. This has taken a year and hundreds of hours of work but I started completely from scratch and that also means learning from scratch programs like Blender, Substance Painter, and Photoshop. That said, expect some jankiness and rookie mistakes in these early stages. There will be missing textures, incomplete textures, lame textures, missing buildings, and lord knows what else you all find. I hope releasing this early will enable you to help me get it up to a great standard, so please let me know what you find and hope for. I'm by no means an airport design expert so please let me know if something obvious is missing or broken. All I ask is that you do it respectfully.
I want to thank everyone who has supported and taught me along the way. The development thread on the MSFS forums was an incredible source of encouragement and I want to thank everyone who showed interest in this project. Also, big shout out the MyPhysicalWorld, rotornut44, flyingtheston, Federico Pinotti, and patriotsix whose YouTube channels were of immense value in helping me along. Also, ambientcg.com for providing free PBR materials which I used in this project.
Version 0.1 - January 14th, 2024
- Custom main terminal
- Custom parking garages
- Custom control tower
- Custom A and B gates
- Custom 4k PBR materials in certain areas
- Accurate gate placement
- Accurate runways and taxiways
Known Issues and future plans...
- At this stage this is a very basic scenery. There is definitely a lack of finer details including decals, ground clutter, HVAC on buildings, and "life" in general.
- There are definitely improvements planned for the modeling of the main terminal, it's the building I began on when I had no idea how to use Blender so I will be redoing a lot of that building.
- Scenery doesn't always line up well with the satelite imagery, things that I will correct as I go along.
- I've entered the airline codes for the gates but they don't always place correctly. Not sure if the gates are too cramped and planes get placed wherever the AI can find space. I'll keep looking into this.
- The localizer antennas are missing. MSFS doesn't have a generic one I can find and I don't want to rely on dependencies so I will be modelling these in the future.
Hope you all enjoy this scenery and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments.
Donations are by no means expected nor anticipated by hey, this boy likes his coffee so it would by all means very appreciated.